Are you working, living or planning to relocate to Rockingham County in Virginia's Central Shenandoah Valley? Here are some interesting area statistics quoted from the County’s “Comprehensive Plan for 2020 and Beyond--2015 Review and Update” below:
- According to the U.S. Census, Rockingham County’s population has increased by 10,446 in 14 years, growing from 67,725 in the year 2000 to 78,171 in 2014. The total growth rate for this time period was 1.02%.
- The total population of Rockingham area schools has remained relatively the same from 2005 to 2015 comparing the 11,155 student population in 2005-2006 to the current 11,308 population in 2014-2015.
- Within Rockingham County the largest age cohorts are 45 to 49 year olds and 50 to 54 year olds. These cohorts are followed closely by 15 to 19 year olds and 50 to 59 year olds. In the coming years these larger cohorts indicate the potential increase in individuals approaching retirement age, potentially creating gaps in the workforce that will need to be addressed.
- Since the year 2000 the total number of housing units in Rockingham County has increased by 23.6%, growing from 27,328 to 33,796 in 2013. The total number of housing units in Rockingham County has increased at a relatively steady rate since 2010, increasing around 3% from 32,796 to 33,796 in 2013. Even with the economic downturn of 2008 this slow but steady growth rate has remained relatively constant.
- Rockingham currently has [a] civilian labor force [of] 41,488, and the number of individuals currently employed [is] 39,801. Rockingham County also enjoys [a low] unemployment rate . . . as of September 2015 at 3.7%, which . . . is below the state rate of 4.1%.
- . . . A positive trend is clearly present; as of 2013 the median household income, $55,630, surpassed the pre-economic downturn peak of $53,036 in 2008.
Top 10 Employers –
- Rockingham County School Board
- Sentara Healthcare
- Cargill Meat Solutions
- Great Eastern Resort Management
- R.R. Donnelley and Sons Company
- Pilgrims Pride
- County of Rockingham
- Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp
Rockingham County is a wonderful place to live and work. We enjoy beautiful surroundings, friendly neighbors and a stable County environment to plan for the future and enjoy the present. We hope you have found this information interesting and useful. Please contact us at any time with real estate questions, or our assistance with reaching your real estate goals!